Monday, June 24, 2013

Il Giorno di San Giovanni










Tonight was a real treat for Carli and me. We were able to watch the 45 minute firework show for Saint John Day. We had the day off since it was a public holiday for the city of Florence, so it was good to spend the day getting little odds and ends caught up before we go back to work tomorrow. 

I would like to share a little something that we have been studying at our Church the last few weeks. We have studied 1 John and commandments for the church to love one another. The passage that I have thought about much lately is in the beginning of the book. 

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life—the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life,which was with the Father and was made manifest to us—that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete." (1 John 1:1-4)

The Apostle John was writing about the hope that all Christians have in Christ so that their joy would be complete. My question for myself lately has been, "Is your Joy complete?" This is a question that I would like to ask you as well. Is your Joy complete? This passage should give us a joy and hope that cannot be described. The life of Jesus was made manifest 2 thousand years ago, and He was seen, heard and touched. That same Word which existed with the Father from eternity past, came to this earth to proclaim life to those in death, to give hope to the broken-heart, to release those who sat in darkness. Jesus has come once. His coming was made known and it was recorded. Are we living as if this really happened? Is our joy in life complete because the Word of Life has given us eternal joy and happiness forever? 

My prayer is that as we contemplate this truth, the Spirit of Truth, would guide our hearts so that we may see the satisfaction and joy we have in Jesus. All of the temporal things of this world will do us no good when we have passed from this world into the next. No matter how difficult things may seem to be, our joy is made complete because on Christ our solid rock we stand, even though all around us is sinking sand. 

We love you all very much,

Carli and Justin


1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    This is Irina (former Cuculea) from Bucharest, Romania! Remember me, Justin? I was googleing trying to see if I could find pictures from your wedding and I found your blog! I'm glad I did because I can find out news about you guys! When you have time do send me an e-mail! I'll be praying for you and checking your blog! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete